The cell end cap seal needs to be replaced.
A worn PEEK seal is deeply grooved and will fail to form a tight seal between the cell cap and body during a run, causing leaks.
Thes ASE 350 models:
- Unscrew the cell end cap from the cell body.
BE ADVISED: Wear safety glasses when removing the old snap ring from the cell end cap or installing a new snap ring.
- Remove the snap ring from the end cap, using the snap ring tool (P/N 056684) provided in the Dionex ASE 350 Ship Kit (P/N 066060).
- Insert the pointed ends of the tool into the two holes in the snap ring. Refer to Image 1.
- Squeeze the handles of the tool together to reduce the diameter of the ring. At the same time, carefully pull the ring out of the cap.
- Carefully release the handles of the tool and remove the ring from the tool. Refer to Image 1.
NOTE: Removing the Snap Ring Do not disassemble the cell end cap after each use. This can cause the seal to fail prematurely.
- Remove the cap insert Refer to Image 2. Remove the PEEK seal from the groove in the bottom of the cap insert.
- Remove the frit from the bottom of the end cap.
- Clean the frit by sonicating it in solvent (or replace it). Refer to Image 2.
- Refer to Image 3 and the following steps to reassemble the sample cell.
- Place the frit (cleaned or new) into the bottom of the end cap.
- Press a new PEEK seal (P/N 061687, pkg. 50) into the bottom of the cap insert.
- Align the pins in the cap insert with the grooves in the end cap, and then place the insert, with the seal facing down, into the end cap.
- With the cap assembly upright on the workbench, install the snap ring.
- Insert the snap ring tool into the holes on the ring.
- Squeeze the tool handles to bring the ends of the ring together.
- Insert the ring into the cap. Using your fingers, push the ring under the lip of the end cap.
- After verifying that the entire ring is under the lip, release the tension on the tool and remove the tool from the ring.
- Screw the cap back onto the cell body and hand-tighten.