- Before doing a Microsoft Update, perform a backup:
- The process to back up Data Vaults by copying the database files is described here and can also be found in the Chromeleon 7 Console Online Help (All Programs> Chromeleon 7 > Chromeleon 7 Help or press F1 inside the Chromeleon Console).
- Note: Prior to applying the backup procedure, it is necessary to define a suitable backup storage location. It is not recommended to use the same hard disk or SSD where the data vault is located as a backup location because in case of a hard disk or SSD defect the Data Vault data AND the backup data is lost.
- To apply this Chromeleon Data Vaults backup method you need to ensure that all software components that may change the data are closed or not running. Chromeleon processes and the SQL Server Express service must be stopped.
- Close all Chromeleon applications (Console/Studio, Instrument Configuration Manager, Administration Console and Services Manager).
- Stop all Chromeleon services and the SQL Server service, in the following order: a. Chromeleon 7 Instrument Controller Service; this also stops the Chromeleon 7 Real Time Kernel Service automatically. b. Chromeleon 7 License Service; this also stops the Chromeleon 7 Discovery Service, Data Vault Service and Scheduler Service. c. All remaining running Chromeleon services. d. SQL Server Express (SQLEXPRESS) service.
- Copy the Chromeleon Data Vault files into a secure location, described in the note section above, to the specified backup location. To back up a specific Data Vault, open the DataVaults folder and copy the folder with the specific Data Vault name. The backup must contain the following files and folders: a. Database file, e.g. ChromeleonLocal.mdf (ensuring that there are no .ndf files) b. Database transaction log file, e.g. ChromeleonLocal_log.ldf c. RawData Folder with complete content (subfolders and files)
- After finishing the backup, restart the SQL Server Express service first and then the Chromeleon services. Start with the Data Vault Service and then start the remaining Chromeleon services. Tip: For a multi-user Data Vault, the database and raw data files may be stored on separate computers; in this case special care must be taken to back them up synchronously.
- Note: For the backup task SSMS is not required and does not need to be installed. After doing a Microsoft Update: Restore Procedure The process to restore Data Vaults by attaching backed up database files is described in this section.
- Note: This process details the restore procedure for Data Vaults created using SQL Server 20xx Express. The same principles also apply to full versions of SQL Server, but specific steps are not described here.
- Caution: It is not possible to restore an earlier version of a Data Vault to the same computer next to the original Data Vault. It is also not possible to restore individual data files or sequences.
- Caution: It is strongly advised to ensure that only one Data Vault instance is mounted in a Chromeleon domain.
- If the source Data Vault is still mounted on a computer which is a member of a Chromeleon domain, the same Data Vault must not be restored on any computer which is a member of the same Chromeleon domain. Every Data Vault and every Data Vault Service has a globally unique identifier (GUID). If two Data Vaults with the same GUID exist in the same Chromeleon Domain, all Chromeleon stations in this domain might stop working. The same applies to duplicate Data Vault Service GUIDs.
- The following rules apply if a Data Vault is restored in a networked environment (Chromeleon Domain):
- If the source computer (the computer from which the backup was taken) is still a member of the Chromeleon Domain, the backup must be restored to a computer which is not part of the same Chromeleon Domain. This computer must not be joined to the Chromeleon Domain as long as the source computer is a member of the same C.